Friday, September 7, 2012

Show and Say What???

Fridays are good days for the Martin family. DJ and Harlow go to school, which means my house can stay clean for a few hours and I can go to Target in peace to grocery shop. Also, it is a Starbucks day (Pumpkin Spice Latte!! Holla!)! DJ loves it because he does gymnastics at school and they have Show and Tell. See... the simple things in life.

Every week, his teacher posts a sign saying what this weeks show and tell theme is. In his old class, it went with the alphabet, "This weeks show and tell starts with the letter 'A'". Ok, easy enough. Now, however, they make it a freaking scavenger hunt! This weeks theme was "Something from your heritage". What the freaking hell?!?! What happened to your favorite toy? A book you like to read? Something easy!!! First of all, I have no idea what to bring. Second, I bring it and what is DJ going to say??? He doesn't know or care about his irish/italian/black roots!

I asked Derrick for an idea, he said to bring a cowboy hat because University of Wyoming is a part of his heritage. Ummm. Ok. Let's grab the cowboy hat, oh wait.... we don't have one. My mom said I should bring him a broom, you know, like jumping the broom in weddings. I don't think that would have translated well, I would have been better off bringing him a copy of "The Help" (you know that's where people's minds would have gone! LOL!). She then said a jar of spaghetti sauce... so I changed the subject. I finally made the executive decision that my grandparent's wedding picture is going to have to do, it is the best that I can come up with. I don't think DJ is going to be thrilled, but at least he will have something.

This is one of my all time favorite pictures!

A quick update. My dear husband informed that he didn't think DJ should bring a cowboy hat because of the University of Wyoming. Apparently, one of his ancestors was one of the first black cowboys in America and he told me that this morning. Good to know that I am as skilled at tuning out my husband, as I am with my kids. 

2 comments:

  1. Aren't they the cutest?! The bubble part came off so then it became a straight dress. I want it.

    ReplyDelete