Monday, April 27, 2015

Hungry Mama

Everyone thinks that pregnancy makes food awesome. You crave things. You eat things. You have free pass doing it all. I get it. That is basically the truth, but there is also the side that people don't talk about. The point that pregnancy ruins everything you eat.


Once you are pregnant, food is no longer food. Food is the size of your baby. A grape, a lime, a squash, a mother effing watermelon!!! As if there aren't enough obnoxious things for us to think about. Every time we go to take a bite of a food, you unintentionally compare it to the little person growing inside of you. 

I will never drink out of a soda can or view a bagel the same way again

But that is not the worst part. No no no. The worst part comes postpartum. And I am living the dream right now. Labor and my awesome body have ruined breakfast forever. Muffins? Oh... you mean my belly over my jeans? Bagels? Look at the visual above... there were also some with a donut as well. Thanks. And pancakes? Just rude. Breastfeeding is hard and the effects are long lasting. OK?

Speaking of breastfeeding. I would say don't get me started, but I am already started. To all of the people who say "Don't worry about it. If you breastfeed the weight will just fall right off!"? Screw. You. That's right, I said it. I hate those people. I gained no more than 15 pounds with my last 3 pregnancies and I breastfed every time. When I went to my 6 week check up after Dash, I had only lost 4 pounds... DASH WEIGHED 7!!!!!! I also started taking walks, riding the spin bike (ouch), and modifying our diet at 3-4 weeks pp.



Breastfeeding isn't magic and not all women respond to it the same way. Has anyone else noticed that is always people like Giselle who tell you this? Like they aren't supermodels with crazy bodies to begin with. Sure, I'm sure that pregnancy synced our metabolism and I will look just like you soon. I have looked on pinterest everyday for weight loss tips while breastfeeding... I have tried them all (also, get sleep? For real? How?) water, exercise, eating more <--- I hate the calorie game, nothing has worked. My body hoards the weight and no matter what I do, I can't lose all of the pounds until I have completely weaned. So happy I got rid of my fat jeans when I was convinced that I never wanted to pregnant again, awesome decision. Glad I kept my Spanx though. 

So while my kids might suck away my energy, youth, and awesome rack, they like to leave my muffin top alone. 

It's not pretty, but it's real. 
6am after an hour wake up, 5 minutes before Harlow joins us.

Thanks kids.


My Favorite Lactation Smoothie

Smoothies are my favorite go to for breakfast and lunch. Easy to make and have on the go. This one has the added bonus of helping my milk supply as well. After lots of experimenting the last 7 weeks, this is my favorite one by far.

1 cup milk (almond milk would be really good too!)
1/4 cup old fashioned oatmeal
2-3 tbsp ground flaxseed
2 tbsp peanut butter
1 tbsp honey or agave nectar 
Favorite fruit... I usually go with a banana or handful of frozen strawberries
Ice


Blend together and enjoy!

Here is the link to the "booby bites" I have been making as well. The are phenomenal and in my mind (and blog), I refer to them as crack balls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment