Tuesday, April 28, 2015

#MomLife

So sorry if you are a non-mom reader of this blog, but I have a 7 week old and basically all I think about is babies and kids all day, errrday. Speaking of, I never introduced our family's newest member! Here she is, Ellis Lane Martin.

My littlest love!

Before Ellis joined us, I had 3 days a week where all of my kids were in school and I got some alone time and grownup time. That has now disappeared and I am in a constant state of #momlife. I love it, but that doesn't mean that there aren't times when I laugh at the craziness. Being a mom you do things that you NEVER thought you would do... ever. Here are 5 examples that have happened to me lately.

1- Poop rules your life. Seriously. This is not something that moms make up or exaggerate at all. From the second they are born, it's all about poop. The tar poop (just like it sounds), how many poops, how often they poop, the color of their poop. You examine diapers, you check the consistency. Writing it, it sounds disgusting. Do it though? You don't even think twice. Welcome to motherhood.

2- Lack of sleep changes a persons priorities. The other night Ellis woke up for her 3am feeding. She finally was falling asleep about 45 minutes later when she decided to spit up over my shoulder and all on my sheets. It didn't wake her up though... in fact, it made her sleep better. I transferred her to her bassinet and contemplated changing the sheets, but instead decided that sleep was way more important. So the answer? I moved down my pillow so it covered the spit up and went back to sleep. Yup. That happened and I didn't regret it at all.

3- Caffeine. That's all that needs to be said. It is a necessity. I limit myself to 1 cup a day because I am nursing and I don't want it to keep Ellis awake, but it happens everyday. One day I wanted coffee and we were out of it at home. So instead of saying forget it, I strapped Ellis in the moby wrap and walked to Starbucks. A 3.5 mile walk for coffee. I looked freaking ridiculous. Where do you see a person walking down the street with a baby strapped on her chest, an iPhone in one hand, and a Starbucks cup in the other? Only in the suburbs. If I saw someone walking down the street looking like I did, I would have taken a picture and mocked them on the internet. I feel like it is only fair that I still do that.

And now you see why I always have bangs.

4- Self image loses it's importance. Showers are not as important as sleep (refer to number 2) so they do not happen daily. See the above picture. The sunglasses are hiding the bags. The glare from my forehead is blinding. My previous blog I posted a picture of myself in bed with no makeup on and my hair crazy. That's how I always look. Sometimes I put on tinted moisturizer. Go me. But... my baby is crazy adorable which totally balances things out (at least that's how it works in my mind). 





5- Boobs are no longer sexual... at all... ever again... in life. Breastfeeding is crazy. At the beginning it hurts so bad, then that stops. Then you become obsessive about your supply and are constantly drinking water and lactation smoothies. Then you lose all of your modesty and just whip out your boob like it's nothing. In my house, it is nothing. My kids went from "Eww mom, you're gross" the first time they saw, to hearing Ellis crying and telling me "Ellis needs some boob, mom.". Thanks guys. 

So there you go. This describes all of my life lately. Sleep, caffeine, poop, boobs, and maybe throw in a shower. Again, you will totally understand if you are a mom.... at least I hope so and I am not all alone on the crazy train. 

No comments:

Post a Comment