Sunday, September 23, 2012

Back In Action!

Sorry about the sudden stop in posting. Between Harlow's party that I totally procrastinated and Dash having a 103+ fever for 3 day, I would have only complained. But here I am, back in action, aren't you thrilled?!

So yesterday was Harlow's party and if I must say so myself, it was amazing! This is by far my favorite party that I have thrown. I was so nervous because as of last Friday, all I had was 2 Madonna posters, a Madonna shirt, and a cake stand. I had contacted some people on Etsy for cupcake toppers and they never responded, I didn't know what to do for decorations behind the dessert table, and I had no idea who was coming. I was so stressed. I have this competition with myself with these parties and I put so much pressure on myself. Harlow would have been pissed if she didn't get her Madonna party!

I was talking to my friend Meghan about the Etsy people not responding and she pointed me in the of Dazzle Expressions. I sent them a message late Friday night and I had a response when I woke up. They listened to everything I said and toppers and water bottle labels looked amazing!






I decided that I wanted to cut my baking load down and I remembered that my cousin had a friend that did cakes. I sent her a message on facebook to see if she made cake pops. When she said that she did, I was so excited, less work for me! As we were talking, she sent me a picture of the cake she made for her daughter. Ok. Yeah. Harlow needs a cake. So we found pictures online and tweaked the one I liked best to make it a perfect fit for Harlow. The cake looked so good and I am so thankful that I found Tina!



The decorations for this party was much more difficult than the other parties I have done. I usually get 3 canvases, cover them in fabric, and decorate them accordingly. I knew that would not work this time. We were doing 80's Madonna, for goodness sake. I needed sparkle and lots of color! I made the tulle balls, I had posters, but I was stuck there. Thank goodness for google. Shindigz had great things! I actually remember going through their catalogs in high school! I was in student council and we had to help get stuff for the dances. Haha! They had a lot of streamers and quick shipping. Perfect match! They had some other things that I really wanted, but they were custom made and since I was ordering on Monday and the party was Saturday... it didn't work out. Maybe next time I won't procrastinate as much (*snort* yeah right!!!). After dragging my poor husband around all day Wednesday (Ikea is the best place for party stuff!), I was finally ready! I knew what I had to do and I knew it would come together.

My biggest project for this party was the table skirt that I made. It was a giant tutu and it was the death of me. I was up until 5:30 getting stuff done and the majority of that was spent on the table skirt. Tulle is the devil. I hate it and I pretty sure it hates me, too. After it was all done though, I am very glad that I made it. The dessert table needed more color. The white table cloth would have thrown it all off without the skirt.

I hope you are ready for pictures now!

The Birthday Girl! 


80's candy! Pop Rocks, Ring Pops, and Nerds 

The drink table! Printed out lyrics and frames from Ikea were inexpensive and easy decorations 


80's kits! Complete with microphones, necklaces, glow bracelets, sunglasses, and mini rubik's cubes! 



Dash modeling Harlow's hair clip! 



3 comments: