Saturday, October 5, 2013

Weekend Waffles

It is no secret that I hate mornings. I just suck at waking up, (it might have something to do with the fact that I never go to sleep before midnight) so on school days I don't have enough time to make the kids a big breakfast. On weekends I try to make up for that and I have started doing weekend waffles. Thanks to Pinterest, I am able to make a good variety.



Last Saturday I made banana waffles with a peanut butter glaze. They were so good! At first I searched for peanut butter waffles, then I searched for banana waffles, then I decided I needed a combination. The kids devoured them, I think they each had 2. A definite success and I will make them again.



On Sunday, DJ requested pumpkin waffles. I was obviously all over that request. I love that I have pushed pumpkin on my kids so often, that they ask for it now. These were also good and super easy. I just used regular syrup, but I have seen a few recipes for apple cider syrup... I think I will make that next time. I don't have pictures from this because it was the morning of Harlow's party and... quite frankly they were lucky I didn't just give them a Pop-tart. Speaking of, I really want to try to make the homemade poptart recipe. It kinda looks like a pain though, if you have made them and they were successful, let me know.

Today, I made red velvet waffles. Holy moly. These were probably the most difficult waffles that I have made. Don't get me wrong, they weren't hard... there were just more steps and they took a little bit longer than the others. These looked amazing and the bite I tried was really good. They were just extremely rich. The kids had 1 and were done. I just tried a bite because even though it was extremely tempting, these are not conducive with my attempt to lose weight. This recipe called for almost 2 sticks of butter (YIKES!!!) and buttermilk. I always have a lot of butter in the house because I like to experiment with baking, but I did not have buttermilk. I made a substitute that worked well and was able to skip running to the store.


 For substitute buttermilk I just added 2 tbsp of vinegar to 2 cups of milk. Easy and effective.


They look pretty, too! 

The best part about all of these waffles is that I always have leftovers. I use all of the batter, then I put the extra waffles in the fridge. On school days I just pop them in the toaster and the kids get a good breakfast in no time at all. I also like to bake breads during the week so that they can have that for breakfast when the waffles are gone. I already posted my favorite pumpkin bread recipes and will post new breads soon. I feel better if my kids have something homemade for breakfast, but don't get me wrong... there have been plenty of mornings that consist of cereal and yogurt.


Banana Waffles

1 1/4 cups flour 
3 tsp. baking powder 
1/2 tsp. salt 
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg 
1 1/4 cups milk 
1 egg 
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 small ripe bananas, mashed

In a large measuring cup or batter bowl, whisk together egg, oil and milk. Add flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir until mixture is smooth. Add in mashed bananas and stir lightly until combined.

Pour batter onto a greased waffle iron



Peanut Butter Glaze

4 tbsp water
2/3 cups powdered sugar
1 tbsp peanut butter

Stir together all ingredients until smooth.

Tell me if you try any of these recipes or if you have other waffle recipes that I should make. Oh... and follow me on bloglovin! Hope everyone has a good Saturday :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm coming to your house for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing these recipes. We are making the banana waffles right now. Can't wait to taste them. They smell amazing!

    ReplyDelete